Indoor Air Quality
- Maintenance Program
Thermostat Services in Portland, OR
It may not look like much, but your thermostat is the control center for your HVAC system in Portland. Does yours match your existing system, or is it outdated? Is your thermostat functioning optimally or does it present some occasional problems? If any of these issues ring true for you, it’s time to call the professionals at Western Heating & Cooling for help. We specialize in installation, repair, maintenance and replacement, and we can help you with all of your thermostat needs. The right thermostat can help you save energy, make your home more comfortable and help your HVAC system function optimally. Just give us a call and let our pros help you.
Need thermostat repair, maintenance, installation or replacement? Call Western Heating & Cooling today!
When Your Thermostat Creates Repair Issues
Sometimes what looks like an issue with your heating or cooling unit is actually a problem originating with your thermostat:
- Dust and dirt on the instrumentation – the inside your thermostat is delicate. When a layer of dust and/or dirt coats the instrumentation, this layer can affect how the instrumentation works and affect the overall operation of your thermostat.
- Thermostat isn’t level – thermostats need to be level in order to work correctly. A tilted thermostat can misread the temperature, which will affect when the thermostat cues your HVAC system to turn on and off.
- There’s a short – thermostats run on electricity, which makes them as likely to develop as short as any other small electronic device.
- The location of the thermostat is drafty – good placement of your thermostat is critical for correct temperature readings. If your thermostat is next to windows or doors, drafts from these openings can affect your thermostat’s readings.
- The heat anticipator is off – the heat anticipator tells your heater how long it should stay on; if it isn’t calibrated correctly, your system may do what’s called short–cycling: constantly turn on and off. Your Western Heating & Cooling technician will know exactly how to fix the anticipator.
- Corroded or frayed wiring – the wires inside your thermostat can become corroded or frayed over time, which will affect how they operate. Your Western Heating & Cooling technician can replace these wires during a repair appointment.
What Are My Choices for a New Thermostat?
When choosing a new thermostat for your home, you have three main options:
- Digital – this is the simplest of the upgrades, but it is still very important. With a digital face, you can set precise temperatures for your home, enabling you to have the comfort you need as well as save energy when you need to. Intuitive buttons make it easy to operate this kind of thermostat.
- Programmable – a programmable thermostat offers you all the benefits a digital thermostat does, plus an additional capability: programming. You can program for up to 7 days, with a maximum of four temperature changes per day. If you are in a steady routine like many households are, you can loop the program continuously.
- Smart – a smart thermostat is the crème de la crème of thermostats. Not only can you program and work with a digital readout, these thermostats can be accessed remotely and you can track and monitor your energy usage. Some smart thermostats learn your heating and cooling behaviors and tap into the climate of our region to accommodate all of your heating and cooling needs.
If it’s time for a new thermostat, or you need expert help to repair your existing one, call Western Heating & Cooling today!